Thursday, October 11, 2007

The El

I am a Philadelphia native; I have been living here all of my life. Glancing through the "Philadelphia Weekly" I was taken back by a phenomenal artist. David Kessler, previously a painting major at Montclair State in New Jersey, has taken up a one year project (2007) here in Philadelphia. His subject, "The El." In 1922 the El train was built. The train led a path into the very core of Kensington. This train was built to transport employees to the many factories which once stood in Philadelphia. Underneath the shadows of the train tracks which stand high above inner city philadelphians lies an entire world of its own. Day after day David Kessler captures this world on his Sony Handicam and tripod. He films everything from the life of a prostitute, to hard working parents. I visited his blog almost immediately after I read the article, and it is intense. His filming technique is almost addictive! See it for yourself at (undertheel.blogspot.com) Pay his blog a visit; I doubt you will be disappointed. Peace, Trevor Winston Lee Article Reference: Philadelphia Weekly Video Reference:Unertheel.blogspot.com

No comments: